Built in 1784 by Dr. William Wheeler, the first doctor for upper Red Hook, this Old Post Road Coach House was once a B & B and can be one again. The house is mentioned in several books. Eleanor Roosevelt spoke here and Mary McCarthy, the first major writer to teach at Bard, lived here 1944-1946. The main road location lends itself to not only easy access, but also a sense of a world gone by. The main house has 5 bedrooms, all ensuite, and formal and informal living spaces. The kitchen has been completely updated and has a large brick fireplace. Its design, and other renovations are in keeping with the period of the house. There is a 3 unit apartment building as part of this B1 zoned property. 2 of the apartments have 1 bedroom plus a den with one bath. The 3rd is a one bed plus a den with a full bath and a half bath plus a sun porch. The income stream from the apartments could pay your mortgage, they could be perfect for guests, an extended family, or caretakers. There is a 2 car garage, shed, wood shed, machine shop, and beautifully landscaped grounds. This is a property with not only a varied and interesting history, but also one with an outstanding future.
Single Family, Colonial
4,128 Sq. Ft. (approx)
Detailed Room Information
- Washer Connection
- Square FootageAbove / Below (approx)
- 4,128 Sq. Ft. Above Ground. 1,500 Sq. Ft. Below Ground.
- Dishwasher, Dryer, Microwave, Range, Refrigerator, Washer
- Carpet Wall to Wall, Ceramic Tile, Wood
- Central Air, Window Air Conditioning, Ceiling Fan(s)
- Oil, Propane, Hot Water. Forced Air.
- Full, Unfinished Basement, Walkout
- Guest Facilities
- Additional Interior Features
- Beamed, Attic Walk-up, Smoke Alarm
Exterior / Lot Features
- Wood, Frame
- Deck, Patio, Porch
- Lot View
- Sloped, Level
- Additional Exterior/Lot Features
- Sliding Glass Door. Close to Bus Line, Public Transport, Shopping Mall, Level, Sloped.
- Community Amenities
- Bus Line, Shopping Mall
Source: Sperling's Best Places
Median List Price $339,000
Median Sold Price $317,500
Days On Market 174
Sales-List Price 94.9%
SOURCE: Mid-Hudson MLS