Last Updated: 11/19/2017 1:45 AM
Built in 1784 by Dr. William Wheeler, the first doctor for upper Red Hook, the main house, an Old Post Road Coach House, was once a B & B and can be one again. The house is mentioned in several books. Eleanor Roosevelt spoke here and Mary McCarthy, the first major writer to teach at Bard, lived here 1944-1946. The main road location allows easy access to Bard and other colleges, tourist sites & bridges. There are 4 rental units, the house, and 3 apartments. There is zoning for additional apartments. The main house has 5 bedrooms, all en suite, and formal and informal living spaces. The kitchen has been completely updated and has a large brick fireplace. Its design, and other renovations are in keeping with the period of the house. This 3 unit updated building is part of this B1 zoned property. 2 of the 3 apartments have 2 bedrooms and one bath, and the 3rd has a bath and a half and sun porch. There are month to month leases in place. There is ample parking for tenants and occupants of the main house. Utilities are all separate. This property is perfect for Air B&B, a B & B; a meeting facility or conference center. Its proximity to Bard, and Ulster County make this a unique offering.
Yes - 2 spaces
6,693 Sq. Ft. (approx)
Detailed Room Information
- Washer Connection
- Square FootageAbove / Below (approx)
- 6,693 Sq. Ft. Above Ground. 1,500 Sq. Ft. Below Ground.
- Carpet Wall to Wall, Ceramic Tile, Laminate, Wood
- Central Air, Window Air Conditioning, Ceiling Fan(s)
- Oil, Propane, Hot Water. Forced Air.
- Crawl, Full, Unfinished Basement, Walkout
- Guest Facilities
- Additional Interior Features
- Attic Walk-up, Smoke Alarm
Exterior / Lot Features
- 2 Garage Spaces. Garage.
- Wood, Frame
- Deck, Patio, Porch
- Lot View
- Sloped, Level
- Additional Exterior/Lot Features
- Landscaped. Close to Bus Line, Level, Sloped.
- Community Amenities
- Bus Line